As per income tax act both benefits are independent of each other and there is no relation what to so ever in claiming HRA exemption and House loan interest ,if person fulfill conditions to avail benefit given in ACT than he can claim ,and condition is be checked separately for each section.If law has not given any condition or linking in both the sections than why DDO are linking it ,I don't know.lets discuss with provision of the act.
HRA EXEMPTION(HRA EXEMPTION HOW TO CALCULATE)
To claim HRA Exemption following point/condition to be satisfied.
- Persons has a salary income and Getting House rent allowance
- person has actually incurred expenditure on payment of rent (by whatever name called) in respect of the residential accommodation occupied by him.
- The residential accommodation occupied by the assessee should not be owned by him.
House loan Interest claim.
while calculating income from house property first annual value of house is to be determined.
- House is let out (value will be according to Rent received)
- House is self occupied by the owner for own residence. (annual value will be nil)
- house cannot actually be occupied by the owner by reason of the fact that owing to his employment, business or profession carried on at any other place, he has to reside at that other place in a building not belonging to him(annual value will be nil)
- the house or part of the house is actually let during the whole or any part of the previous year; or
- any other benefit therefrom is derived by the owner.
now in your case you are living in rented house so you are satisfying condition of Hra so you can claim hra exemption.
In case of your own house ,the house is self occupied by you ,it doesn't matter if you are going to house at weekend or monthly and your parents are living in your own house,it is covered under definition of self occupied under income tax act.As I have clarified above In income tax act self occupied definition is not the same as we generally taken and as per act person can have more than one house as self occupied ,and as per income tax self occupied means
- house is not let out for whole or part the previous year
- no any other benefit therefrom is derived by the owner
but i think you are covering yourself in condition three above i.e
"house cannot actually be occupied by the owner by reason of the fact that owing to his employment, business or profession carried on at any other place, he has to reside at that other place in a building not belonging to him"
and want to clarify whether this condition is applicable in same city or not.Though in my opinion your house is self occupied as I have clarified above yet for your clarification in above condition also there is no condition that your own house can not be in same city.At any other place does not mean any other city it can be in same city ,but there should be nexus between non occupation of your house and your employment,business or profession .
download tax help tool bar now
Download Our Free Tax Help Toolbar
download HRA CALCULATOR WITH NEW TAX CALCULATOR FOR PY 2008-09,2007-08 AFTER BUDGET NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
download tax help tool bar now
Download Our Free Toolbar
- Deduction for Higher Education Loan 80E on son's ...
- BUDGET CHANGES -MISSED BY U -40A(3) CASH PAYMENT E...
- DIRECT TAX CHANGES IN BUDGET AT A GLANCE
- TAX CALCULATOR -WITH REVISED RATES IN BUDGET
- SERVICE TAX CHANGES IN BUDGET 2008
- Saving under 80c whose name can be done
- HOUSE LOAN BENEFIT AND SECTION 80C
- TUITION FEES PAID FOR CHILDREN U/S 80C
- Life Insurance premium paid on wife's Policy eligi...