Many must have felt exasperated with their current mobile phone operators as far as their service standards and responsiveness is concerned. But there is no need to feel dejected, as a new solution is at hand now.
It is called the Mobile Number Portability (MNP). The new system will comes into force across India from today, offering relief to hundreds of thousands of telecom subscribers who are not happy with their incumbent operators. The MNP scheme was first launched in Haryana in November.
MNP allows a subscriber to switch to another telecom service provider without going through the hassle of changing the number, and updating the near and dear ones about the same. Both prepaid and postpaid subscribers can avail of the MNP facility. The only hitch is one can change one's mobile phone operator under the MNP only within one's service area.
There are currently more than 700 million mobile users in India.
How to use MNP:
- The subscriber needs to send a SMS to 1900.
- He/she will receive a unique porting code from the current service provider.
- Then one needs to fill the application and mention the new service provider one would like to switch to.
- The new service provider will collect information about the subscriber from the current operator.
- The whole process takes about seven days. In case of Jammu & Kashmir, Assam and North East service areas, this is 15 days.
As a transformation charge for the new operator the subscriber has to pay the amount of Rs. 19.
Idea Cellular, the first mobile operator to announce the upcoming Mobile Number Portability (MNP) recently has now launched a Toll Free Number 1800-270-0000 to guide over 700 million mobile subscribers on various aspects and procedures of number portability, prior to the national launch of the service on January 20th, 2011.