what is E-Preparation of Income Tax Return?
E-Preparation of IT Return is the process of preparing your Income Tax Return using a software. The E- Preparation software can be of 2 types:
A. Manual Calculation:
Those that allow you to enter your Income Tax data but do not calculate the Income Tax & Refund etc. The individual user needs to calculate the above himself/herself
B. Auto Calculation:
Those that take the Income Tax related data that you have entered to automatically calculate the Income Tax and Refund using their inbuilt tax calculation engine that is updated for current rules . Auto Calculation Software is more efficient and less prone to calculation errors .
What is E-Filing of Income Tax Return?
E-Filing of IT Returns is the process of electronically submitting your Income Tax Return to the Income Tax Department.
This electronic submission can be done in one of the following ways:
- Manually : where you take the output of the software in XML or non-XML format , convert to XML in case of the latter and upload it to the Income Tax Website
- Automatically: Providers that are Authorized E-Return Intermediaries of ITD, are integrated with the Income Tax Department and authorized to E-File your Income Tax Return. Such providers allow you to E-File your return with a click of a button
XML upload is tedious and user may run into issues for incorrect format or validation error .
How do I sign my Income Tax Return when I E-File?
An ITR is an important document and the individual to whom it belongs needs to sign it – Manually or Digitally to affirm that (s)he has reviewed it and is the one who is officially submitting the ITR. An IT Return can be signed in the following ways when it is being E-filed:
• Digitally : Use digital signature, in which case no further action is required. An acknowledgement of filing is provided instantly after submission
• Without Digital Signature (paper signature): You can E-File without digital signature, in which case ITR-V form is to be physically signed & filed with the department’s Bengaluru office .ITR-V is a single page receipt cum verification form that is sent to the assessee via an e-mail from ITD
Benefits of E-filing ITR : E-filing is easy, fast, and the most reliable and secure method
• Fast Processing: The acknowledgment of ITR submission is fast and the refunds are processed faster by the ITD for E-Filed ITRs
• More Accurate: E-Filing software with built-in validations and electronic connectivity to ITD are seamless and help minimize errors. Paper based filing with self calculations can be prone to error. Also, when any paper based form is transferred to electronic system, there is always a possibility of human error in data entry.
• No Time place constraint: You can file anytime, anywhere. E-Filing is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week , so taxpayers may always file at their own convenience
• More Secure than Paper based filing: E-filing is safer than paper based filing. With paper based filing your confidential identity information is lying in files and can be passed from person to person in the CA’s office or in ITD’s office
• You can easily access and use your data for future returns: Most of the paid E-filing software applications store your data in a secure manner and allow you to access it whenever you are ready to file subsequent returns
• It is good for the environment: E-Filing is environment friendly. You just need to print no or at most one page instead of multiple copies of multiple pages that is required in case of paper based filing
How to select an E-filing Software
The most important thing while selecting the software is to check the customer feedback and review. Although there are a handful of providers that provide different levels of eFiling services for income tax return, may providers may have yet to demonstrated high levels of customer service. You want to make sure that the service levels of the provider are superior and the provider extends support even after you have filed the return just in case there is an inquiry on your return from the Income Tax Department .
This article is provided by TaxMunshi.com. TaxMunshi.com™’s current portfolio comprises of the following :
For Tax filers:
Tax Planning: Self tax planning using simple free income tax calculators as well as professional income tax planning through experts
· Online Income Tax Return(ITR) preparation and filing : Self preparation and eFiling of ITRs (ITR-1, ITR-2 and ITR-4 without books) for assesses
· Professional ITR preparation: Preparation of all ITRs by certified tax preparers
TaxMunshi.com™ is a product created by Paisaa Innovative Solutions, a leading provider of Income Tax Filing solutions in India and an authorized eReturn Intermediary of the income Tax Department of India. Paisaa™ (www.paisaa.in) innovates to create simple and powerful financial and tax management solutions that empower individuals and businesses realize their financial aspirations and goals. TaxMunshi™ (www.taxmunshi.com) provides online tax preparation solutions for salaried & self employed professionals as well as employers and tax preparers in India and is India’s first “full service” online income tax filing destination.get discount 10% by using discount code simpletaxindia