How can I file my returns through ACES ?
You can file your returns online after logging into ACES using your user-id and password. You can also prepare your return off-line using Excel Downloadable Utility and then upload the .XML file so generated.
FAQs on filing of returns using web-form (on-line)
1.How can I e-file the return on-line?
Login as Assessee --> RET --> Fill ST-3 --> Fill
- After filling all the details, in the last page click on “SAVE” button. A “confirmation view” screen will display the return in its entirety. Verify for the correctness of details entered. Once it is confirmed that the entered details are in order, click on “SUBMIT” button.
- If any modification is required, click on “MODIFY” button. The first entry screen will be displayed. Modification can be carried out in all fields. If it is desired that the details are to be entered afresh click on “CANCEL”button.
- In case of disruption while entering my return, is it possible for me to retrieve the entered details and complete the return at a later point of time or Is it necessary that I have to fill and file the return at one go?
- In case of ST-3, there is a provision to save the return explicitly (before submission). The returns can be completed partially/fully using ”Amend return” option in “RET” menu.
2.How to navigate between fields/pages on the screen?
Navigation would be as follows:
- Moving across fields: After entry in the desired field, tab key can be used. On pressing tab, you will be taken to next field of the section for data entry.
- Moving across pages: After you have filled the data in a page, you can move to the next page by clicking “Next” button. On clicking this button, the system will validate all the entries on the page and lead you to the next sheet (if the data is filled properly on the page or when you want to proceed despite warnings in case of minor errors). Similarly, “Previous” button can be used for moving to a previous page for the purpose of view or correction.
3. How to fill up the data in e-return?
a) All the fields marked with asterisk (*) are mandatory and the same are to be filled before proceeding further.
b) Wherever required, data must be in correct format. For example
- Challan no to be a 20 digit number consisting of, 7 digit BSR code, 8 digit date of tender in the format “ddmmyyyy” and 5 digit challan no. For example, “12345670112200812345”
- Wherever columns are available for providing Quantity, decimals upto two places only are allowed.
- Columns where Amount is to be provided, only whole number is allowed.
4.How to Add or Delete Rows in various screens?
The procedure is as follows:
(i) Adding new rows: Sections such as “Details of the manufacture, clearance and duty payable” allow you to enter multiple rows of data in a tabular form. You can click on “Add” button to add more rows. To add more than one row, you must have filled data in the mandatory fields of the previous row.
(ii) Delete rows: Rows that have been added in the section, can be removed by checking the “select” box(es) and clicking “Delete”. All rows cannot be deleted since atleast a minimum of one row of details should be present.
5.When should the check box for “NIL Return” be used ?
When an assessee does not have any stock of excisable finished goods, any PLA/CENVAT credit balance, when during a month, there is no manufacture and clearance of any excisable goods etc. i.e. when there is nothing to declare to the department for the month, this can be used. Once the “NIL” return check box is checked, after providing the year and month of the return, the system will take you to the last screen of the return to fill in the details like place etc. and submit the return with the self assessment memorandum.
I have an opening balance of Rs.65,000 in PLA, now I have utilized Rs.55,000 for some payment under Other Payments - Arrears. But the system is asking me to enter the Challan No., Date and BSR Code against this entry in the Other Payments, and also it is expecting me to enter the challan number even though the payment is through Account current and not Credit Account. Please clarify.
If the Assessee is paying through Account Current he has to enter the Challan No, Date and BSR Code which are mandatory fields. If the Assessee has an opening balance in that case he will have to mention the previous Challan details.
6.How to enter multiple Challans in ST-3?
Multiple Challans can be entered By adding "," comma between two challans
7.While filling return an error message is displayed by the system, what should I do?
Error messages are categorized into two categories: Show stopper and Warning.
(i) Show stoppers: These are major errors and you cannot proceed without correcting them e.g. Mandatory field such as month of the return is left blank or when CETSH entered is wrong.
(ii) Warnings: These are minor errors. If you are sure that the entered data is correct, you can proceed with these errors. For e.g. calculated duty payable not matching with the duty payable as mentioned in the return.
8.What are the comments in red at the top of the confirmation page for my return?
The comments in red at the top of the confirmation page shows the errors found in the Return. These issues can be corrected by assessee by modifying the return details before submission.
9.What if I am not able to correct the issues as highlighted in the last page of the return?
If you do not correct the issues marked in red, then these returns with errors like “Challan Number mentioned does not exist in the database” or “Provisional Assessment Order No. is not valid” etc. are marked for Review & Correction process. Such returns (ER-1, ER-2 and ER-3 only) are marked to Range Superintendent, who will review the return and correct the errors found in the return after due consultation with you (assessee).
10.How will I know if I have filled my returns correctly?
In ACES you can view and verify the return submitted by you using
RET--> View ST-3 (in case of Service Tax)
How do I amend my saved ST-3 Return?
You can access saved ST-3 Return for amendment by clicking on Amend ST-3 option of Fill ST-3 submenu under RET menu. Once ST-3 Return is submitted in ACES the return cannot be amended.
How do I revise my ST-3 Return?
You can revise your ST-3 return once within 90 days after filing the original return, by clicking on Revise ST-3 option of Fill ST-3 submenu under RET menu.
Will I get an acknowledgment after filing the return?
On the successful submission of a return, an acknowledgement with a number in the format “registration number_Type of return_Month and Year of the return” will be shown. For example, for the ER-1 return filed for the month of December, 2009 by an assessee having registration no AAABC7865HXM001, the number “AAABC7865HXM001_ER1_122009” is generated as acknowledgement. This number becomes a reference number (Source Document number) for subsequent correspondences with the department in respect of the return.
FAQs on filing of returns using EXCEL downloadable Utility
What is downloadable utility?
In ACES the Assessee can file his returns online by filling up the web-form or by using downloadable utility available in ACES website. Downloadable utility is an offline utility which can be downloaded, filled off-line and submitted on-line. The generated XML file should be uploaded into ACES.
What are the pre-requisites for filling data in this utility?
Following are prerequisites for filing data in offline utility:
1. The version of Microsoft Excel in your system should be Microsoft Office Excel 2003 and above
2. Make sure that you have downloaded the latest Excel Utility from ACES website / application to your local system
3. Please enable the Macros (if disabled) as per the following instructions:
- On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Security.
- Click on either Medium or High to select the 'Security Level'.
- On the Trusted Publishers tab, select the Trust all installed add-ins and templates check box.
Please make sure that your System Date is correct.
Do I need to download utility each time I file a return or use the earlier one downloaded?
Yes, it is advisable that you download the latest version of utility from the ACES website before filling the same.
What are the steps for filing Return through offline utility?
The steps are as follows:
1. Fill up the Return data: Navigate to each field of every section in the sheet to provide applicable data in correct format. (Formats will get reflected while filling data.)
2. Validating Sheets: Click on the ''Validate this sheet" button to ensure that the sheet has been properly filled and also data has been furnished in proper format. If there are some errors on the sheet, the Utility will prompt you about the same. In such cases, the offline utility will not allow you to proceed further until you rectify the errors.
3. Generate XML: There is "Validate Return and Submit" button on last sheet "Challan" for validating all the entries in your return. If you click on this button, Utility will validate all the sheets one by one and also perform inter-sheet validations. After validation, an XML will be generated. In case there is some error identified on some sheet, the utility will prompt you about the same and lead you to the respective sheet(s).
4. Both files are saved in the same folder of your system where Efiling Utility is placed/ saved (while downloading the e-filing utility).
5. Upload XML file to ACES application: For uploading the XML generated by the E-filing Utility, login to ACES application and access menu option to upload generated xml file of Return. On Upload screen provide the required information and browse to select the relevant XML file and submit the form.
How do I file NIL return in offline utility?
There is an Option for NIL Return in the first sheet. In case you are filing a NIL Return then change this option to "Yes". On selection Yes, utility will ask you to freeze the option and then delete all the sheets that are not applicable.
In ST-3 Offline Utility when I enter premises code, an error appears “Premises code Number accepts only 10 digits alphanumeric characters”. Please help.
Please ensure that you enter 10 characters premises code. System does not allow less than or more than 10 characters code. This code can be alphanumeric (all numeric, all alphabetic or alphanumeric). The structure of 10 characters premises code is [Location Code of 6 characters + 4 alphanumeric characters]. User can check the premises code through RET---> Fill ST-3 --> Fill (Check premises code here).
How to generate XML file after filling the sheets in the offline utility?
Once all relevant fields of the sheet have been filled up, clicking on "Validate Return and Submit" button will again validate all the sheets and XML will be generated if data is found OK.
1. After generating the XML, the Utility will prompt you the name and location of the files saved
2. The name of the XML file that has been generated by the system will be the Registration Number_Date_StampTime.xml e.g. AAABC7865HXM001_131200834021PM.xml or AAGPI2894EXD001_24-Jun-0910603PM.xml
How do I upload my offline return?
You can browse and upload offline return (XML file) by logging into ACES with your user-id and password and navigating in the ACES website in the following manner:
RET--> eFiling-->Upload File (In case of ST-3)
What does the “status of returns” mean?
Status of returns implies the status of offline returns uploaded into the system. Status of returns submitted through offline utility can be either Uploaded or Filed or Rejected. You can view the status of your return submitted using offline utility through:
RET--> eFiling --> View Status (In case of ST)
When will I know whether my uploaded return is accepted or rejected by ACES?
Returns submitted through offline utility can have follows status:
- Uploaded: Denotes that return is uploaded and under processing by the system. You should view again after some time
- Filed: Denotes that uploaded return is accepted by the system
- Rejected: Denotes that the return could not be processed due to errors and is rejected and the assessee return is not filed with the department in this case
The result of the acceptance or otherwise of the return filed off line will be known within one business day at present.
When are offline returns rejected?
Returns would not be accepted due to some technical errors validated by the system. For example, such errors may be wrong mention of premise code, mismatch of registration numbers, mismatch of period of return filed etc.
What to do when my return is rejected?
Errors due to which return is rejected are displayed when you click on hyperlink on rejected return. Please also look into the error the systems shows for the rejection of the return and correct the error. If required, returns can be corrected and then new xml file generated and uploaded again.
While uploading the XML file in ACES, an error appeared "File corrupt. Regenerate and upload the file again". Since regenerating the XML is time consuming task, please help how we can regenerate with less effort?
This error appears only when user has tampered XML file generated by the utility. Please ensure that you upload the original XML file generated by the utility without tampering/opening for modification.
While clicking on "Validate & Submit" button on worksheet on eFiling Dealer Return, it says 'Compile error in hidden module: Module 5' and system does not generate the XML to be uploaded?
This error will not occur if the user is using Microsoft Office Excel 2003 version or above .