The Government of India merged the Person of Indian origin(PIO) card and Overseas Citizen of India(OCI) card schemes through the Citizen (Amendment) Act,2015.
Under the new regime PIO card holders are deemed to be OCI card holders and are entitled to benefits such as life long visa and exemption from Police registration.
The government has now mandated all PIO cardholders to apply OCI card in lieu if their existing PIO cards.
- The application for an OCI card in lieu of a PIO card needs to be submitted with the indian embassy /foreigners regional registration office(FRRO) which originally issued the PIO card to the applicant.
- The OCI card in lieu of the PIO card would be granted if the PIO card was valid on 9th January 2015.
- The OCI Card will be issued free if cost to all existing PIO cardholders.
You have to register a Online Application for issue of OCI card in lieu of PIO card.
Key Points For OCI-Registration (In Lieu of PIO-Card)
- Read Instruction carefully before starting the registration process.
- Start registration as New OCI-Registration and fill all details required.
- Place of submission for OCI-Applications (In Lieu of PIO-Card) should be the same as the Place of Issuance of PIO-Card.
- Provide Valid PIO-Card details at the place specified. PIO-Card should be valid as on 9th Jan 2015.
- Complete Part-B of the registration process.
- Documents to be enclosed along with application are given at the end of Part-B.
- Completed application is to be submitted to the appropriate office.
- No registration-fee will be charged for such applications. However, SMS/Fax/Agent charges, as applicable, will be levied on the applicant.
Please Note that Existing PIO Cards are valid only upto 22.06.2015 even validity date is shown after 22.06.2015 and every PIO card holder have to apply for OCI card in lieu of PIO card otherwise they can visit India through VISA only.