Ministry of Finance Issues Clarifications with Regard to Different Aspects of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) Including about Availing of Benefits Under the Yojana
Various queries or questions have been raised from time to time with regard to different aspects of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY). The Ministry of Finance has responded to those queries and issued various clarifications in that regard from time to time.
Now the Ministry of Finance has further issued the following clarifications for the benefit of account holders under PMJDY:-
I. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the Yojana are available on the website www.pmjdy.gov.in.
II. A person who is already having a bank account with any bank NEED NOT to open a separate account under PMJDY. He/she will just have to get issued a RuPay Card in his existing account to get benefit of accidental insurance. Over draft facility can be extended in the existing account if it is being operated satisfactorily.
III. Accidental Insurance coverage under PMJDY
- o Accidental insurance of Rs.1 lakh is available to all RuPay card holders in the age group of 18-70 where RuPay card need to be used once in 45 days of receipt.
- o Claim intimation should be given his or her bank where account is maintained within 30 days from the date of accident.
IV. Life Insurance coverage under PMJDY
Basic eligibility conditions:-
- o Persons opening bank account for the first time, with RuPay card in addition, during the period from 15thAug 2014 to 26th January 2015.
- o The persons should normally be Head of the family or an earning member of the family and should be in the age group of 18-59.
- o Account holder need to have valid RuPay card.
- o The account can be any bank account including a small account.
- o Only one person in the family will be covered and in case of the person having multiple cards / accounts, the benefit will be allowed only under one card i.e. one person per family will get a single cover of Rs. 30,000/-, subject to eligibility conditions.
- o The claim of Rs.30,000/- is payable to the nominee(s) of account holder who need to submit necessary documents to the Nodal Branch of the concerned Bank.
- o Government employees (serving/retired) and their families, persons filing Income Tax Return/TDS deductees and persons covered under the Aam Adami Bima Yojana, are ineligible for Life insurance under PMJDY.