After demonetisation of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 Notes ,long queues has been seen in front of all Bank ATMs.Many persons are facing problems to withdraw money from ATMs as well as Bank Braches .Banks are not in position to serve the customers to their satsfaction . Further the problem takes a ugly turn on weekends when All the ATM goes "CASH LESS" Now ATM full form has been changed to "Ayega To Milega ".
Though this problem will be fully solved only after infusion of sufficient cash by RBI ,yet we have listed out few points by which this problem can be resolved to some extent. At least this will be step in right direction and will leads to better user experience.Further these suggestions not only helps customers to service better in present circumstances but also enrich customer experience in future.Moreover all our suggestions can easily be done by a small software change at back end and no hardware change is required.
- Steps to be taken to reduce queue at ATMs.
- 1. Update working status of ATM on Bank Website/App
- 2 Enable Alerts on working status of ATM on APP/email/Mobile.
- 3.Show withdrawal amount 2000 in short cut at first screen.
- 4.Show Balance cash Left in ATM
- 5. Get Input of visitors on queue length
- 6. Educate customers about use of Debit card./Credit card /Mobile wallets
1. Update working status of ATM on Bank Website/App: Most simple solution is that Banks should update the working condition of their ATM in real time .Presently Banks are showing list of their ATM on website .Some banks are also showing the address on google Map which will helpful to guide the person to the location . The above information is not helpful in present scenario as most of person know the location already except when they visit outside from normal working place.Some of the apps available in Market claims that they will provide working condition of the ATM but that are not reliable and not updated as they does not have full and reliable data and in some cases dependent of reporting of the app users. We suggests that Bank must update working condition of their ATM on website .This can easily be done by a small software change at back end as the bank have already complete data with them.In our view no hardware change is required.The status should also be update on the App.This can be easily shown with the help of Red and Green colour .Green means working and red means not working. This will helpful to all customers as they can check status of ATM from any where and can plan visit to ATM/cash withdrawal accordingly which leads to shorter queue at ATM.
2 Enable Alerts on working status of ATM on APP/email/Mobile. :Second suggestion is based on first suggestion . Suppose first is implemented and working status is shown on website /app of the bank /app and Status of a particulars ATM( near to customer) is shown as Red (means not working) and customer wants an alert from bank on his email/mobile as and when ATM comes to working status .So bank should provide a service so that customer can subscribe,if interested, regarding change in working condition of ATM(s) from Red to green. This facility should be automatically cancelled after providing one alert .After this services is provided then customer can easily plan visit to ATM and queues will be reduced.
3.Show withdrawal amount in short cut at first screen :Currently ,The most of the persons visiting the ATM is withdrawing the of Cash .Further withdrawal limit is also restricted to Rs2500 and Rs2000 per day (as per availability of notes /Nature of ATM recalibrated or not ). After insertion/swipe of ATM card in ATM machine various option were shown by defaults to visitor like cash withdrawal /cash deposit/Balance etc . So to withdraw the money person have to select withdraw option first and then have to fill the amount (which has been restricted to Rs2000 /2500). To save this time ,In our view ,First option /screen should be shown withdraw 2000/2500 after swipe of card and on one/First click cash can be withdrawn.And if person is interested in other option then he can select other option.This will readuce the time to operate the ATM and reduce the length of queue by reducing the Avg time spent /customer.
4.Show Balance cash in ATM :Our forth suggestion is that Balance left in ATM must be shown after each entry .If showing of exact cash balance is a security issue then a indicator meter/progess bar should be shown which indicate cash level in ATM machine. It will helpful for person standing in queue at ATM to know whether they will be successful in getting cash or not.
5. Get Input from visitors regarding queue length: When person have filled the amount to be withdrawn and ATM machine is processing its request , at that time question may be asked to customer regarding queue length behind him by giving option Like 0-5 ,5-10 ,10-20 ,more than 20 (specify). Further the option can be changed according to response given by the earlier customer .Suppose last customer have entered more then 20 then option given to next person must be less than 20 ,20-30 ,30-40 and more than 40 and so on. This options should be shown occasionally and should be linked with usage of ATM means if number of entries in a hours is more than fixed limit then only this option should be shown. This Input can be used by bank and so that decision can be taken by bank to provide mobile bank or PoS cash scheme .Further this input may also be updated at bank website/web with the remarks as input given by the customer.
6. Educate customers about use of Debit card./Credit card /Mobile wallets: On ATM queue bank should educate persons about use of debit card and credit card . Further they should also told about apps or mobile wallets provided by them and method to use wallets and benefits of using mobile wallet.This will also leads to increase in use in Digital money and helful in reducing the lenghth of queue at ATM.
Please comment ,share and give your suggestions