As expected govt has extended the payment with old notes of 500-1000 at 16 exempted places for next 72 hours. So now you can use old notes at given/specified places till
14.11.2016. 24.11.2016. The above information has updated by Shaktikanta Das Secretary Economic Affairs, Government of India on his twitter account.Tweet is given as under.
Acceptance of old 500 & 1000 notes for payments in exempted categories will continue upto 14 Nov midnight with a few changes.— Shaktikanta Das (@DasShaktikanta) November 11, 2016
In his tweet he has also mentioned that there are few changes in exempted list.Further govt has also released a press note as under
While cancelling the legal tender character of the existing series of high denomination bank notes of Rs.500 and Rs.1,000 denominations w.e.f. the expiry of the 8th November, 2016, exemptions were allowed for certain transactions for the first 72 hours with a view to minimizing inconvenience to the public. Subsequently, based on feedback received from various quarters, certain more transactions were included for exemption.
The Government has been closely monitoring the implementation of the decision. Considering various representations received from different quarters in the matter, it has now been decided that the existing exemptions may be extended until the expiry of
14.11.2016. 24.11.2016., with the following modifications / additions to the existing exemptions:
- (i) Payment for court fees will be included in the exemptions.
- (ii) The ID proof of customers will be required for transactions in consumer cooperative stores.
- (iii) Payments towards utility bills will be restricted to only individuals / households for arrears and / or current bills. No advance payments will be allowed.
- (iv) Payments in toll-plazas of the State and National Highways will be deleted from exemptions, considering that the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is separately issuing instructions in this regard.
Notification on Toll plazas
In order to ensure smooth movement of traffic on highways the government has decided to extend the suspension of fees on all toll plazas on National Highways across the country till the midnight of
14.11.2016. 24.11.2016.. Earlier the exemption had been allowed till the midnight of 11.11.16.
There is enough cash with RBI. Supply of cash to Bank branches and ATMs are being stepped up gradually.
The list of places/payment where you can use old 500/1000 notes as per earlier notifications along with changes made is given below.
- (a) for making payments in Government hospitals for medical treatment and pharmacies in Government hospitals for buying medicines with doctor's prescription;
- (b) at railway ticketing counters, ticket counters of Government or Public Sector Undertakings buses and airline ticketing counters at airports for purchase of tickets;
- (c) for purchases at consumer cooperative stores operated under authorisation of Central or State Governments;( ID proof of customers will be required)
- (d) for purchase at milk booths operating under authorisation of the Central or State Governments;
- (e) for purchase of petrol, diesel and gas at the stations operating under the authorisation of Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies;
- (f) for payments at crematoria and burial grounds;
- (g) at international airports, for arriving and departing passengers, who possess specified bank notes, the value of which does not exceed five thousand rupees to exchange them for notes having legal tender character;
- (h) for foreign tourists to exchange foreign currency or specified bank notes, the value of which does not exceed five thousand rupees to exchange them for notes having legal tender character.
- (i) for making payments in all pharmacies on production of doctor’s prescription and proof of identity;
for making payments on all toll plazas on the State and National Highways(deleted being Ministry of transport has exempted the payment of toll till 14.11.2016)
- (k) for payments on purchases LPG gas cylinders;
- (l) for making payments to catering services on board, during travel by rail;
- (m) for making payments for purchasing tickets for travel by suburban and metro rail services;
- (n) for making payments for purchase of entry tickets for any monument maintained by the Archeological Survey of India.
- (o) ) for making payments towards any fees, charges, taxes or penalties, payable to the Central or State Governments including Municipal and local bodies;
- (p) for making payments towards utility charges including water and electricity (Payments towards utility bills will be restricted to only individuals / households for arrears and / or current bills. No advance payments will be allowed.)
- (q) for making payment of court fees