Ministry of Finance has withdraw the exemption of use of Old 500 notes for Railway tickets /Bus tickets /Metro tickets and for making pay...
Ministry of Finance has withdraw the exemption of use of Old 500 notes for Railway tickets /Bus tickets /Metro tickets and for making payment at on board catering services on train. So 500 notes can be used at these places up to 09/12/2016 only .However you can still use 500 notes at 17 other places till 15.12.2016 (if not withdrawn).
The question arises here that why only three payment has withdrawn from exemption list and not other 17 ? What criteria govt has taken to remove this three items from 10/12/2016 ?
The notification is given as under.
MINISTRY OF FINANCE (Department of Economic Affairs) NOTIFICATION New Delhi, the 7th December, 2016 S.O. 3678(E).—
In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (2) of section 26 of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 (2 of 1934), the Central Government hereby further amends the notification of the Government of India, in the Ministry of Finance, Department of Economic Affairs number S. O. 3408 (E) dated the 8th November, 2016 published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, Sub-section (ii) dated the 8th November, 2016, namely:—
1. In the said notification, in paragraph 1, clause (b), clause (l) and clause (m) shall be omitted with effect from the 10th December, 2016.
[F. No. 10/03/2016-Cy.I]
Dr. SAURABH GARG, Jt. Secy.
Note : The principal notification was published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, Sub-section (ii) vide notification number S.O. 3408(E) dated the 8th November, 2016 and subsequently amended vide notification numbers S.O. 3416(E) dated the 9th November, 2016, S.O. 3429(E) dated the 10th November, 2016, S.O. 3445(E) dated the 11th November, 2016, S.O. 3447(E) dated the 13th November, 2016, S.O. 3448(E) dated the 14th November, 2016, S.O. 3480(E) dated the 17th November, 2016, S.O. 3489(E) dated the 18th November, 2016, S.O. 3490(E) dated the 20th November, 2016, S.O. 3544(E) dated the 24th November, 2016 and S.O. 3598(E) dated the 30th November, 2016.
Updated list of places/payment where you can use old 500 notes till 15.12.2016/10.12.2016 except wherever mentioned otherwise in the list given below.
- (1) for making payments in Government hospitals for medical treatment and pharmacies in Government hospitals for buying medicines with doctor's prescription;
- (2) at railway ticketing counters, ticket counters of Government or Public Sector Undertakings buses and airline ticketing counters at airports for purchase of tickets;(air ticket allowed only up to 03.12.2016)(Bus /rail ticket allowed up to 9th December only)
- (3) for purchases at consumer cooperative stores operated under authorisation of Central or State Governments;( ID proof of customers will be required)(maximum up to 5000/each time)
- (4) for purchase at milk booths operating under authorisation of the Central or State Governments;
(5) for purchase of petrol, diesel and gas at the stations operating under the authorisation of Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies;(allowed only up to 03.12.2016)
- (6) for payments at crematoria and burial grounds;
- (7) at international airports, for arriving and departing passengers, who possess specified bank notes, the value of which does not exceed five thousand rupees to exchange them for notes having legal tender character;
- (8) for foreign tourists to exchange foreign currency or specified bank notes, the value of which does not exceed five thousand rupees to exchange them for notes having legal tender character.
- (9) for making payments in all pharmacies on production of doctor’s prescription and proof of identity; ()
- (10) for making payments on all toll plazas on the State and National Highways (from 3.12.2016 to 15.12.2016 exempted till 3.12.2016)
- (11) for payments on purchases LPG gas cylinders;
- (12) for making payments to catering services on board, during travel by rail; (allowed up to 9th December only)
- (13) for making payments for purchasing tickets for travel by suburban and metro rail services; (allowed up to 9th December only)
- (14) for making payments for purchase of entry tickets for any monument maintained by the Archeological Survey of India.
- (15) for making payments towards any fees, charges, taxes or penalties, payable to the Central or State Governments including Municipal and local bodies;
- (16) for making payments towards water, electricity charges
;for making payments towards utility charges limited to water and electricityonly (Payments towards utility bills will be restricted to only individuals / households for arrears and / or current bills. No advance payments is allowed.)
- (17) for making payment of court fees
- (18) for making payments towards purchase of seeds from the centres, units or outlets belonging to the Central or State Governments, Public Sector Undertakings, National or State Seeds Corporations, Central or State Agricultural Universities and the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, on production of proof of identity
- (18) payment of school fees up to 2000/- rs per student in Center /state/municipal corporation school.
- (19) payment of college fees (center /state govt.)
- (20) payment of prepaid mobile top up maximum 500 per top up.