GST is all set to launch and subsume all the other indirect taxes under its ambit. However, still GST is still a mystery for most of the business community and hence, GST implementation would hit the business hard those are not prepared for it. Therefore, it is advised to people to get prepared for the GST so that its implementation can be smooth for their business.
Under this article, we would like to discuss about the registration part which is very important in its own terms. Under GST, there are two types of registration:
- - New Registration
- - GST enrollment for existing registered tax payer
Let us discuss the first part.
2.0 New Registration
As per section 22 of CGST act, every person needs to take GST registration in India if the aggregate turnover within the sales is more than 20 lakh (Rs.10 lakh for north eastern states). Once you are covered under the section 22, then you need to apply to the GSTN for the registration part.
Let us understand the step by step procedure:
- - Once you cross the turnover of Rs.20 lakh, then you need to get registration under the CGST act.
- - Before filling the details, you first have to verify your PAN number, email, mobile and state in PART A of Form GST REG – 01.
- - The mobile and email shall be verified by using the OTP.
- - Once email and mobile are verified, a temporary reference number shall be generated which will be communicated to the person via email and mobile number.
- - Using that reference number, person should log in into the account and fill the PART B of form GST REG – 01.
- - Once the form is filed, a reference number shall be generated and shall be sent to the person via email and mobile in FORM GST REG – 02.
- - After receipt of application number, if the application is correct and all information and documents has been submitted properly, then the officer shall grant the registration certificate within 3 working days or else he shall communicate the discrepancy in form GST reg – 03.
- - After receiving the discrepancy, the applicant shall submit the response within 7 working days.
- - If the response is found in order, then proper officer shall grant the registration certificate within 7 working days or he shall reject the application for registration.
- - The registration certificate shall be granted in FORM GST REG – 06.
3.0 GSTN Registration Number
On grant of registration, a certificate of registration is granted via form GST REG – 06 containing the GST number. The GST number is as follows:
4.0 No Hardcopy of Registration Certificate
As a part of digital India, no hardcopy registration certificate under GST shall be granted. The certificate shall be provided online with digitally signed.
5.0 Registration for Existing tax payers
Registration of existing tax payers is also known as GST enrollment. As per the recent GST report, more than 64 lakh tax payers have already enrolled their selves under GST. GST enrollment has been suspended for now, but the enrollment will again resume from 1st June, 2017.
We have tried to explain the registration procedure for you in a bit detail. However, we totally understand that GST is something very technical and hence if you have any query, you can send us the email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the author
CA Paras Mehra is a thinker, writer, reader and speaker. He is also professionally associated with hubco.in, a brand for GST registration, GST return filing and providing the software solutions.. Connect to him:
Twitter Handle: @IamParasMehra