Capital Gain Exemption on Sale of Agricultural land


I have sold our ancestral agricultural land in Punjab recently.

  1. We have been told that it is within 8 Kms of municipal limits and hence categorised as urban land, which is taxable for the purpose of CG (rural land is tax free).
  2. Further research indicated that proceeds from agricultural land may either be re-invested in purchase of another agricultural land or a residential property in order to be eligible for Capital gain rebate under income tax.
  3. Investment in Commercial property is not eligible for any rebate.
  4. Also, if I buy residential property will I get the benefit of cost indexing as I will get if I re-invest in agricultural land?
  5. I do not intend to purchase another agricultural land, therefore, the only option left for me in to buy residential land. BUT, now I find out that since I already own a residential property in India, I cannot claim capital gain rebate on that new property I may be planning to buy. Is CG rebate not eligible on the second residential property. I learned that there was an amendment to this section sometime back and second house is eligible.
  6. how can I get the benefit of the CG rebates aside putting money in capital bonds for 3 years?
G walia

Dear G

You have studied a Lot on this subject and most of your Information is correct but some of it is not correct.

Agriculture Land: agriculture land in rural area is not covered in definition of Capital asset hence no capital gain is applicable in case of sale of agriculture land in rural area .However capital gain tax is applicable if land is situated in urban area.

Investment in Agriculture Land:yes you are correct that reinvestment in agriculture land can save tax on capital gain but there are some conditions to it ,as given in section 54 B of the income Tax act,But as you have given you are not Interested in it we are not going to these details .further It is true that

Investment in commercial property will not give you any exemption /deduction from capital gain.

Investment In Residential property : with Investment in residential property you can save tax u/s 54 F .But not same as agriculture land can .the difference between both the option are that in case of section 54 B (Investment in agriculture land) the amount to be invested only the amount of capital gain but in case section 54 F (investment in new residential house) net sale proceed is to be invested in the new Residential house.

Purchase of residential house: Purchase of residential house option is left with you ,because as section this option can be opted if
    -there is long term capital gain.
    -gain should be from sale of asset other than residential house.

You are fulfilling both the condition as you have sold ancestral agriculture land which is long term non residential house property.

Now the question is that whether you can save tax even if you have a other house on date of transfer of agriculture land ?

The News is good ,you can invest in residential property and can save tax on long term capital gain tax on sale of agriculture land even you already have a residential property with you.Means if you have a house already with you even then you can save tax under section 54 F .

Capital gain calculation : To calculate Holding period for the purpose of capital gain ,the period of holding of your father ,grand father ,.........will also be included means it is LONG term property.But the Cost of indexation will be available to you only from when it is being transferred to you.Cost of land of previous owner will be taken and if purchased before 01.01.1981 then cost price or market value as on 1.4.1981 which ever is higher will be cost of that land . On this cost ,Indexation will be given .

Amount of Investment : U/s 54 F ,the net receipt from the sale of Land in the question has to be invested in a residential house property by
  • Purchase of new house before one year and with in two years from the transfer of above Land .
  • Construction of new house with 3 years from date of transfer.

if amount invested in house is less then net receipt from land then exemption will be available on pro-rata basis.

Capital gain scheme:If amount of capital gain arising from the sale of old asset(land here)is not used as per point above before the due date of furnishing of income tax return or furnishing of return which ever is earlier than the balance unused amount should be deposited in designated banks under capital gain account scheme 1988 .

if capital gain amount unused has not been deposited under the scheme then the amount of capital gain will be taxable in the previous year as long term capital gain it self no matter it is actually used by the assessee for the purpose with the period explained above .

if the amount deposited in capital gain scheme , wholly or partly has not been used with in the three year from the date of transfer of old asset and purpose given above then the unused amount will be taxable in the hand of the assessee in the previous year in which three years expires from date of transfer of old asset as long term capital gain.

Exemption withdrawal : after availing above exemption ,
  • if new house will be sold with in 3 years from purchase/construction of the house or
  • if you purchases another house other then new house with 2 year from transfer of old house or construct another house with in 3 years from date of transfer of old house
then amount exempted on purchase of new residential House will Be taxable in your hand as Long term capital gain in year in which above any of the above two happens.

Exemption through Investment in Bonds : You are also eligible to save tax u/s 54EC by investing in Bonds .Unlike residential House u/s 54 F ,In bonds Only capital gain amount is required to be invested.No need to invest net receipt.suppose yo have sold land at Rs 100/- and capital gain after indexation is 45 then in case of section 54F (residential House) you have to invest 100 where as in Bonds only 45 is required to be deposited to claim full capital gain tax exemption.Lock in period is Just Three Years but maximum amount that can be invested in bonds is limited to 50 lakhs.You can opt for this option with in 6 months from date of transfer of the land

Note :Agriculture land definition has been changed wef 01.04.2013 as under
(1) in an area within 2 kilometers of local limits of municipality etc., these 2 kilometers shall be measured aerially, and population of municipality etc. is more than 10,000 but not exceeding 1,00,000; or
(2) such land should not be situated within 6 kilometers of the municipality having population of more than 1,00,00 but not more than 10 lacs; or
(3) such land should not be situated within 8 kilometers if population of municipality etc. is more than 10 lacs.





. SECURITIES (MNP) (TDS)2007-08 ` 01.07.12 01.09.2008 01.10.2012 06.07.2009 07.08.2012 1 PERCENT EXCISE ITEMS LIST 1 sep 1% excise 10 year nsc 10(10C) 1000 court cases judgements supplied to ITO 1000 rupee note 11-2008 11-2010 130 items 14.08.2008 15 august 150 Rs coin 15g 15h 18-12-2009 192(1A) 192A 194 I 194A 194c from 01.10.2009 194H 194j 194LC 1981-2007 2% cst 2% excise 2004 2008 2008-09 FY 2010 206AA 234A 234B 234C 234c interest calculator 234E 23AC 23ACA 23B 24C 24q annexure II 25 paisa coin 271(1)(c) 271B 271H 272B 27A 280 280 challan 281 282 283 29 AUGUST 29.04.2010. 29/08/2008 29/2008 service tax 2g meaning use 3 idiots 30 MARCH 31st March 32-2010 33 of 2009 35(2AA) 35(2AB) 3CD 3g meaning use 40(b) 43B 44 AB EXEMPTED INCOME 44AA 44AB AGRICULTURE 44AB new limit 44AB NON RESIDENT 44ad 46/2012 45/2012 49C 5 day week 5 years post office deposit 5/2011 50 paisa coin 54b 54EC 54ee 54f 54gb 5th paycommission punjab 6 % excise 6 crore advance limit 6/2005 69/2010 6th cpc 6TH PAY COMMISSION 70% of pan etds 7th Central Pay Commission 8 tips to save tax 80C 80ccc 80CCD 80cce 80CCF 80CCG 80d 80DDB 80EE 80G 80GG 80GGA 80GGB 80ggc 80tta 80U 85% of pan etds 86/2008 DATED 13-08-2008 87A rebate 89(1) 89(1) relief calculator 9.5 % rate for private epf 92E 95% of pan etds 98 dated 04/01/08 aadhaar aakash tablet aam admi aar Aayakar Sampark Kendra abatement abolished ACCOUNT PAYEE DRAFT Accounting ACCOUNTING CODE accounting code for services ACCOUNTING FOR GOVT GRANTS accounting standards ACES ADD IN Add-Ins additional relief in budget 2010 adjustment of advance FBT with advance Tax advance rullings advance salary ADVANCE TAX CALCULATOR advance tax challan ADVANCE TAX CUT OFF AMOUNT ADVANCE TAX DATES AFFIDAVIT AG Projects Technologies Ltd RT age 80 addition pension aibea wage revision aibea wage revision latest news aiboa aiboc aiboc wage revision AIG AIR airline ticket booking tds airlines all is well allowances allownces alphabet of inspiration alteration on check allowed alternate minimum tax AMENDED 3CD amendment in companies bill 2011 amendment in gratuity act 2010 amendment in registration service tax AMENDMENT IN SERVICE TAX ON RENT amendment to finance Bill 2010 AMNESTY SCHEME 2007 amt Anna Hazare anna hazzare bill vs govt lokpal bill appeal apply for new pan card against old pan card aqb arbitration arrears of salary arrears of sixth pay ARRERS TAX AS-12 ASBA assessee in default ASSESSMENT REOPENING ASSESSMENT YEAR 2008-09 REFUND atm atm 100 per day atm cash without card atm tips atm wrong debit audit cases itr filing audit limit enhanced Audit Questionaire AUDIT REPORT AUS VS IND.INDIA VS SL Automated teller machine AUTOMATION OF CENTRAL EXCISE AND SERVICE TAX ay 2010-11 bad debts Bank Bank account bank audit bank audit 2012 bank charges BANK SALARY bank strike 06/07/09 and 07/07/09 banking law amendment banknotes banks npa provisioning BARE ACT bare rules BASE RATE BY BANKS bcct BIMAL JAIN biometric pan card black and white form not acceptable black money BLOCK PERIOD blogging bobay refund BONUS bonus share book discount BOOK ON EFILING BOOK REVIEW books of accounts BOOMING INDIAN ECONOMY both House rent allowance both hra and house loan Brass Scrap BRIBE CASE BROKER BSE bsnl broadband bsnl broadband usage bsnl land line sms alert BSR CODES BUDGET 2009 budget 2010 budget 2010-11 budget 2011 BUDGET 2012 budget 2013 BUDGET 2014 BUDGET 2014 CONTEST budget expectations BUDGET HIGHLIGHTS budget live on computer budget live telecast budget notification budget on tv budget speech BUDGET SPEECH DOWNLOAD Budget-2014 Budget-2015 BUDGET-2016 BUDGET08 Business BUSINESS AND PROFESSION MEANING BUSINESS COVERED UNDER 44ab BUY HOUSE C FORM CA CAN ONLY AUDIT MVAT CA CLUB INDIA CA GIRISH AHUJA CA NITIN GUPTA CA PARDEEP JAIN CA ROHIT GUPTA ca services CA sudhir Halakhandi CA Swapnil Munot CA Vikas Khandelwal calculate arrear CALCULATE NEW PAY calculate your emi calculation of tax on salary arrears CALCULATOR CALCULATOR REVISED capital asset capital formation huf Capital gain capital gain account scheme 1988 CAPITAL GAIN INDEX capital gain on repayment of loan capital gain on tenancy rights capital goods