RBI has given Major relaxation in operation of bank accounts by Minor above the age of 10 years. RBI has issued a notification/direction t...
RBI has given Major relaxation in operation of bank accounts by Minor above the age of 10 years. RBI has issued a notification/direction tp all banks that a minor above the age of 10 years may be allowed to operate saving bank accounts independently.Further Banks may also allowed other facilities like ATM ,Debit Card and net banking facility also. However overdraft facility can not be allowed to Minors at all.The complete notification is given as under.
Opening of Bank Accounts in the Names of Minors
Please refer to our circular DBOD.No.Leg.BC.158/C.90(H)-76 dated December 29, 1976 wherein banks were advised to allow minors’ accounts (fixed and savings deposit accounts) with mothers as guardians to be opened subject to safeguards in allowing operations in such accounts by ensuring that the minors’ accounts opened with guardian are not allowed to be overdrawn and that these always remain in credit. Also, please refer to our circular DBOD.No.Leg.BC.19/C.90(H)-89 dated September 8, 1989 extending the facility, of allowing opening of minors’ account with mothers as guardian, to Recurring Deposits.
2. Further, with a view to promote the objective of financial inclusion and also to bring uniformity among banks in opening and operating minors’ accounts, banks are advised as under:
- A savings /fixed / recurring bank deposit account can be opened by a minor of any age through his/her natural or legally appointed guardian.
- Minors above the age of 10 years may be allowed to open and operate savings bank accounts independently, if they so desire. Banks may, however, keeping in view their risk management systems, fix limits in terms of age and amount up to which minors may be allowed to operate the deposit accounts independently. They can also decide, in their own discretion, as to what minimum documents are required for opening of accounts by minors.
- On attaining majority, the erstwhile minor should confirm the balance in his/her account and if the account is operated by the natural guardian / legal guardian, fresh operating instructions and specimen signature of erstwhile minor should be obtained and kept on record for all operational purposes.
3. Banks are free to offer additional banking facilities like internet banking, ATM/ debit card, cheque book facility etc., subject to the safeguards that minor accounts are not allowed to be overdrawn and that these always remain in credit.