Carrying a valid driving license is so important that you will be fined if found driving a vehicle without a license. According to The Mo...
Carrying a valid driving license is so important that you will be fined if found driving a vehicle without a license. According to The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 driving license is one of the four documents you cannot drive without. These documents are an insurance policy, PUC, registration certificate and Driving License.
Nowadays a driving license comes in the form of a smart card, similar to a debit or credit card. One could easily lose this card if he/she is not careful enough. In this case, it is possible to apply for a duplicate driving license.
Driving license is a document which enables you to drive a vehicle in a specific country. It can be of different types depending on the vehicle and the purpose of driving. A driving license can be acquired via online and offline methods.
The age limit of the applicant should be between 16 to 21 years, this criterion depends upon the requirement of a specific Regional Transport Office (RTO). Also, for a license of a commercial vehicle, it is necessary to submit a driver’s fitness certificate.
Refer to the following list of documents for getting a duplicate driving license issued:
● LLD (Application Form) - To request the RTO for issuing a duplicate driving license. Convey your details to the RTO via this form.
● Copy of a driving license (if available) - Submit a photocopy or a printout of a scanned copy of your lost driving license if available.
● Copy of FIR for the lost license - You need to file a First Information Report (FIR) at a police station which handles your jurisdiction.
● Fees - Depending on the RTO’s requirements, you need to pay around Rs. 250 to 400/- as charges for getting a duplicate driving license.
● Identity proof
● Address proof
Similar to the process of acquiring a permanent driving license, a duplicate driving license can also be applied via online and offline modes.
To apply for a duplicate online driving license, visit your state’s RTO website or Parivahan website. Click on “Services related to Driving License” and proceed to fill out the application form i.e. LLD. Getting a duplicate online driving license is easier as compared to the offline process.
Scan the documents mentioned above and upload them after filling the application. After you upload the documents, the acknowledgment receipt will be displayed, take a printout of the same.
You need to visit the RTO office which originally issued your permanent driving license and fill out the LLD for them to issue a duplicate license. Submit the hard copies of the documents mentioned above along with the fees.
Driving license is an authority to drive a vehicle. It is punishable by law to drive a vehicle without valid license. A permanent driving license is also an identity proof as it carries a photograph, age and current address of the holder. To acquire it, one needs to be thorough with rules, regulations, and needs to pass a driving test.
● A duplicate driving license is usually issued on the same day, if not, one should expect it within 30 working days.
● The validity of a duplicate driving license is the same as your original license. It is a mere copy of the original and contains the exact same details as the original one.
● A duplicate license is issued in case the applicant has lost the original one or if the original license is mutilated or destroyed. Also, if the photograph on the original license needs replacement.
● The applicant does not have to undergo a driving test when he/she applies for a duplicate license.