Due date of filing of income tax return for Assessment Year 2013-14 Financial year 2012-13 is as under(read link for more details)
- In case of person who are not liable to get their accounts audited is
31st July 2013Now Extended up to 05.08.2013
- In case of person who's accounts are liable to be audited under any law and partner of such firms and all companies is 30.09.2013
- salary ,pension,
- Income from other source like interest income ,
- Income from capital gain ,
- Income from house property and
- Income from person owning small business and not liable to get their accounts audited are covered.
If a person who is required to furnish a return of his income, as required under sub-section (1) of section 139 or by the provisos to that sub-section, fails to furnish such return before the end of the relevant assessment year, the Assessing Officer may direct that such person shall pay, by way of penalty, a sum of five thousand rupeesso this section says end of relevant assessment year ,for previous year 2012-13, assessment year is 2013-14 and it will ends on 31.03.2014 ,means there is no penalty for late filing of income tax return up to 31.03.2014 and after that assessing officer(AO) can impose a penalty of 5000,and that is also his (AO) power which he may or may not exercise after giving due hearing to the assessee.
- Interest u/s 234A:If there is tax due after deducting advance tax ,TDS and self assessment tax than interest will be applicable @1% per month and part thereof up to the date of filing of the return besides interest applicable u/s 234B or 234C.Means this interest is applicable only if there is any tax payable in your return .(INTEREST calculator 234BC online is available here)
- Loss of Interest on refund:You may loose interest on refund u/s 244A as delay in filing is attributable to assessee for the period by which you have filed late return.
- Audit Report:Person who are liable to get their accounts audited should get the audit report on or before the due date of filing return i.e 30.09.2013.E filing of audit report s mandatory from ay 2013-14
- Revised return :Late /belated return can not be revised .This is major draw back .if you failed to file return in time then you can not revise your income tax return. Though you may apply revision u/s154 but it has few limitation and very lengthy process
- Some of deduction under subsection 80 are not available for late return.
- Due date of income tax return is related to TDS deposit and dis allowance u/s 40a(ia).
- Due date of Income Tax return is related to tax saving u/s 54,54B,54F and some other issues in capital gain saving account deposit scheme.
- Not able to carry forward the losses under various heads:you are not able to carry forward following type of losses if file return after due date
- Speculation loss
- business loss excluding loss due to un absorbed depreciation and capital exp on scientific research
- short term capital loss
- long term capital loss
- loss due to owning and maint. of horse races
- loss from house property
- business loss on account of un absorbed depreciation and capital expenditure on scientific research.
- already deposited due tax or due taxes has been deducted by your employer and nothing is due or
- you are not claiming a Major amount as refund or
- you have no losses to be carried forward
- balance tax to be deposited or short fall of tax or
- huge amount of refund due to you or
- you have losses to be carried forwarded as explained above
Fans will see this content.